Monday, April 5

meet a maker monday

being the inquisitive little feltmaker that i am, i thought it might be interesting to hear about other maker's stories. so a little while ago i asked if anyone would be interested in being interviewed for my blog. i was hoping to make it a monthly feature but have been so overwhelmed by responses that it is now a weekly feature!

so, grab a cuppa, put your feet up and lets meet lisa from ihearttoast ...

Please introduce yourself …
I am Lisa, and I run i heart toast. I make mainly jewellery but also corsages and fascinators.

How would you describe your work / style?
My style is quirky and fun, with a dramatic flair when it comes to fascinators. I love to work with fimo, beading, sinnamay and feathers.

Who, or what, inspires you?
I am inspired by everyday items, like a piece of toast or a hamburger. I love food so many of my jewellery pieces are replica food items. I feel hungry as we speak!

Do you sell your work? If so, what helped you decide to start selling your work?
I do sell my work. I did a course making fascinators and started to make them to wear myself at weddings and burlesque nights. I got lots of comments and started to make them for friends and family. I then decided to branch out into jewellery and people kept asking to buy my things!

Where can I buy your work?
I sell online at Folksy and also at craft fairs and school fairs in Glasgow. My next venture will be a swishing event in Edinburgh.

Do you have a website or blog address?
Yes, you can find me at ihearttoast folksy shop

How did you learn your craft? How long have you been creating?
I learnt through short courses around Glasgow. I have been creating for 2 1/2 years now and I am learning new techniques all the time.

Is there any other craft skill you would like to learn?
Yes - loads! I am very envious of my Granny who is a brilliant dressmaker - my sewing is limited to corsages and my flowered brooches.

Anything exciting planned for 2010 you’d like to share?
I have been approached to create fascinators for a troupe of dancers at a local dance school - I can't wait to get started!

Have you had any work featured in magazines/books/galleries?
Not yet but there is plenty of time!

Has your work won any prizes/competitions?
No but I haven't put anything forward - I'll have to start!

If I wasn’t doing this, I’d be …
A full time personal masseur for my two cats, Chairman Meow and Lady Marmalade.

I couldn’t do this if it wasn’t for …
The support for my family - they are full of inspiring ideas and support me every day.

Any funny stories you’d like to share?
I made myself a fascinator for a Christmas night out. It was a beautiful black and white piece made from vintage fabric and feathers. Just before I was due to put it on I heard a scuffle - there was my cat Lady Marmalade eating the feathers from my fascinator! I had to do a quick repair job - it must have been good as I got lots of compliments on it!

Describe your perfect day...
My perfect day at the moment would just be a relaxing day at home followed by cooking a big meal for all of my family in the evening. And maybe a spot of karaoke!

Describe your proudest moment...
When I was commissioned to make a fascinator for a lady going to the Queen's garden party. I just kept thinking that my fascinator was going to meet the Queen!

What do you do to relax?
Read and pet my cats. Or make jewellery - it is very relaxing!

Marmite … love it or hate it?
Hate it Hate it Hate it! Yuk!

What animal would you be, and why?
A cat so I could see into their world and beg for smoked salmon and chicken from the fridge.

What’s your weakness?
Food! I am a big foodie - my favourite is a roast dinner.

How do you keep motivated?
My family do a great job, especially my partner and sister. I am also always so motivated when I am at a craft fair and people are complimentary about my work!

What do you wish you’d known when you first started out?
That the way you present your products can make a difference between selling and not!

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
Do loads of research - go to a craft fair as a customer before going as a seller.

What question did you hope to be asked but didn’t?
What is your favourite item in your shop?

What would your answer have been?
At the moment my black cat necklace...

thanks for chatting lisa, what great names your cats have – they sound like lovely characters, apart from when they’re eating your fascinators that is!

No comments: