Monday, March 22

meet a maker monday

being the inquisitive little feltmaker that i am, i thought it might be interesting to hear about other maker's stories. so a little while ago i asked if anyone would be interested in being interviewed for my blog. i was hoping to make it a monthly feature but have been so overwhelmed by responses that it is now a weekly feature!

so, grab a cuppa, put your feet up and lets meet helen from glamorous glue ...

How would you describe your work / style? Individual, I like to think I have many different styles as I love to make jewellery that is easy to wear and which suits lots of different people. My work could be described as quirky, classic and bohemian, I would even call some of my hand painted and batik earrings art for the ears! But I like to think of my style as individual because each piece suits the individual that is attracted to it.

Who, or what, inspires you?
I am greatly inspired by music, it helps me to create! My love of music very often creeps into my music, that cheeky David Bowie managed to inspire his own collection with The Glam Rock Collection. I love bright colours so I also look to the 80's for inspiration…even if I am a little too young to actually remember it!

Do you sell your work? If so, what helped you decide to start selling your work?
Many of my friends would comment on jewellery that I had made and worn and started to request that I make them pieces. I then joined Folksy looking for somewhere to sell my jewellery online that wasn't toooo technical as I am slightly allergic to computers at times!!! As my confidence grew I then decided to do a few craft fairs and jewellery parties in the run up to Christmas 2009 and have been really pleased with how well they have all gone down.

Where can I buy your work?
In my folksy shop: GlamorousGlue's folksy shop

Do you have a website or blog address?
Due to my slight phobia of computers (is it just me that thinks my computer can be heard laughing at me every time something goes wrong). I don't have my own website, but I have started to attempt a blog! glamorousglue's blog


How did you learn your craft? How long have you been creating?
My jewellery techniques have all been self taught. I have been creating for about a year now and first began to experiment with jewellery making when I had an accident and broke my ankle. What started off as a hobby to relieve boredom has turned into something that I love and now couldn't imagine not doing.

Is there any other craft skill you would like to learn?
There is so much that i would like to learn, in particular i would love to experiment with resin and glass.

Anything exciting planned for 2010 you’d like to share?
As of 2010 I'm aiming to start approaching shops and galleries with my work in the hope of getting my jewellery stocked.

Still pottering around in my day job, I'd just be very bored with no crafting to keep me busy in the evenings!

I couldn’t do this if it wasn’t for …
My mum (big awwww) she's my biggest supporter and helped me when I was but an eccentric young lass with a broken ankle, making jewellery in my room with glue and glitter stuck all over my hands!

Any funny stories you’d like to share?
I have an unusual talent for clearing the local haberdashery of shop assistants. It must be that I am 'known' as the lady that always buys hundreds of googly eyes that they have to count by hand.

Describe your perfect day...
Ok so I wake up, not suddenly with an alarm clock jolting me awake or with a big fat ginger cat sitting on my head, but naturally. And of course because it's a perfect day my hair looks great and it's not going to be one of those 'I have nothing to wear' days! I get together and spend the day with all my old university friends I don't see very often. And when I get home in the evening…wow the jewellery in my folksy shop has been selling like hot cakes, having done no self promotion. I curl up for the night watching a good film on the telly with a hot chocolate. Wow, this perfect day seems to have turned into a dream day, all that was missing was Sean Bean turning up to declare his love!

Describe your proudest moment...
The first time I looked at my stall all set up at my first craft fair, seeing all my jewellery together and having people admire and buy it at a fair for the first time, it really showed me what I had achieved.

What do you do to relax?
Listen to music, often combined with crazy bedroom dancing (honestly it helps). Going for a walk is also a great way to clear my head when I've got far too much buzzing around in it.

Marmite … love it or hate it?
Love it! A liking I seem to have passed on to my cat...he goes crazy when I have marmite on toast for breakfast!

What animal would you be, and why?
Most definitely a cat, as like cats I do like my sleep! And if my cat is anything to go by it also means I can still enjoy marmite!

What’s your weakness?
Craft related answer: buying yet more beads when I have lots I should be using up!
Non craft related answer: Mr Kipling angel slice with a cup of tea

Actually I think the non craft related answer could come under craft related as I have discovered crafting often leads to great consumption of tea and cake!

How do you keep motivated?
Lots of tea and the occasional walk to clear the head!

What do you wish you’d known when you first started out?
A little bit more about the wonderfully vast world of self promotion, Twitter, Blogs, Facebook, the list is endless....actually I still wish I knew a bit more about these things!

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
Don't rush, I find it's best to give yourself time when you’re first starting out to develop your own style. It also really helps me to write things down, whether it's a fleeting idea in the middle of the night or a set of goals to achieve in the next year.

What question did you hope to be asked but didn’t?
Any weird phobias?

What would your answer have been?
Prawns! There's just something about the way they look that makes me think they are going to come alive in my mouth. I never had much luck explaining this theory to people though!

thanks for taking the time to chat helen. loved hearing that your cat now loves marmite - our two used to love marmite too! every time i made marmite toast, i had to make extra to share with them :)

No comments: