Monday, March 29

meet a maker monday

being the inquisitive little feltmaker that i am, i thought it might be interesting to hear about other maker's stories. so a little while ago i asked if anyone would be interested in being interviewed for my blog. i was hoping to make it a monthly feature but have been so overwhelmed by responses that it is now a weekly feature!

so, grab a cuppa, put your feet up and lets meet zoe from jewelbox ...

Please introduce yourself …
Hi, without sounding too much like a dating ad: I am Zoe. I am 34 years old, and live in not so sunny Derbyshire. I work full time in an office, and jewellery making is my hobby/love/relaxation therapy.

How would you describe your work / style?Eclectic. I don’t think I have a particular style, as I like so many. Sometimes I love to wear really delicate pieces, and others I go for a really chunky style. My problem is I love jewellery so much!

Who, or what, inspires you?
I get inspiration from all over, through magazines and books, but mainly from the beads themselves. There is nothing I love more than sitting with my bead tray and just playing around until I find something I like.

Do you sell your work? If so, what helped you decide to start selling your work?
I have set up a shop on Folksy. I haven’t made any sales as yet, but fingers crossed. I decided to start selling after friends and family who I make jewellery for persuaded me that I should give it a go.

Where can I buy your work?
jewelbox folksy shop or you can contact me through my blog (.the jewel box blogspot), if there is a particular item/style you are looking for.

How did you learn to make jewellery?
I haven’t had any official training. I am self taught through trial and error (many errors!) and from books and magazines.

Is there any other craft skill you would like to learn?
I would love to learn how to sew. I am absolutely lousy at it, but would love to be able to make my own clothes and bags.
Anything exciting planned for 2010 you’d like to share?
I am planning on trying out some new necklace designs, and also trying new items like beaded bookmarks and handbag charms.

Have you had any work featured in magazines/books/galleries?
Not as yet, but hoping!

Has your work won any prizes/competitions?
No, I am never confident enough to enter!

If I wasn’t doing this, I’d be …
In the loony bin! I work full time in a busy office, and making jewellery is what I do to take my mind off a hectic, stressful day at work. I would love to get to a position where I could give up my office job, and make jewellery full time.

I couldn’t do this if it wasn’t for …
My mum. She encourages me, wears my stuff, brags to her friends etc. etc.

Any funny stories you’d like to share?
I like to sit at night with my beading tray in front of the telly, and have all my beads in trays and boxes on the floor surrounding me. I have a miniature daschund, Rose, who thinks that anything on the floor is hers to play with. So on regular occasions I look down to find her with her nose in the trays, or she has been known to roll over the top of them, then thinks she is really clever!!

Describe your perfect day...
Spending the morning sitting in the conservatory, or garden when it is warm, with a good book and a cup of tea, then in the afternoon doing a bit of beading. With copious amounts of tea thrown in.

What’s your proudest moment?
Watching my sister collecting her degree which she gained from Open University whilst raising two small children.

What do you do to relax?
Read & bead.

Marmite … love it or hate it?
Hate, loath and despise, but love peanut butter.

What animal would you be, and why?
A pampered dog, they have such a great life.

What’s your weakness?
Sausage rolls, buying books and beads.

How do you keep motivated?
I love making jewellery, so have no problems with motivation.

What do you wish you’d known when you first started out?
How addictive it can be.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
Start small and build up. Get the best tools you can afford, as they do make a difference. And don’t buy really cheap beads. They tend to break easily, and you can tell the quality.

thanks for chatting with us zoe, fingers crossed for lots of future sales on folksy, your jewellery is lovely :)

No comments: