Saturday, February 5

i'm quite excited ...

i've got a trip to london planned!

i'm so ashamed that i've not been down to see my family since last summer, last year passed me by in a flash and this is the longest i've been away without a visit, it'll be lovely to see everyone again.

i've never been a fan of flying and i finally stopped giving myself a hard time about it a few years ago, now i go by train and it's a much more relaxing way to travel! part of the fun is planning my picnic and entertainment for the journey. this is the book that'll be keeping me company for this trip ...and while i'm in london, i'll be visiting the william morris gallery - can't believe i've only just discovered this place exists! quite funny really, as it's not that far from where i was born and where my paternal grandfather used to have his market stall.

i've been drawn to william morris prints for a while now but, having only flicked through the book, it seems like he was an amazing person too, i can't wait to get reading.

6 comments:

Heather Woollove said...

Ooooh, Tracy--I LOVE William Morris! I had 2 books of smashing wrapping paper with his designs, some years ago, and I didn't waste an inch of it!!

Tracy Markey said...

yaaay, another william morris fan!

he was such an amazing designer/creator/craftsman/artist wasn't he?!

i've started saving up in the hope that the gallery has a shop! (i'll keep my eye out for more wrapping paper for you)

FeltersJourney said...

And another fan :)
I carved stamps with William Morris flowers & leaves for a printing workshop a few years ago (done in the Victorian house I work in which has Morris wallpaper). I was so enamoured after all the research and carving that I was tempted to Morris-up our semi - gad I didnt it would not have suited AT all.

Have fun

Geraldine said...

Hi, William Morris is a hero of mine too. When the industrial revolution took hold, he made sure that we didn't loose our hand crafting skills. He also brought calligraphy back and reinvented it. I still have his 'Red House' on my 'to visit' list, it's just outside London.

Tracy Markey said...

hi feltersjourney, sounds like a great workshop :) yep, also resisting the constant urge to morris-up the house, think i may struggle to stick to one or two items from the shop!

Tracy Markey said...

hi geraldine and thanks for stopping by :) i think, with my limited knowledge so far, that's one of the most appealing things about william morris, he appreciated the importance of handcrafted work and wanted to pass on and develop those skills. i never realised that about the calligraphy though.