Thursday, June 10

meet a maker (monday?!)

ok, it's not quite monday - i'm a little out of sync, having been away for a while!

hope you enjoy reading all about annabella from annabelladesigns who makes the most beautiful petticoats ...

Hi, please tell us a little about yourself ...
Hi, my name is Annabella I am a qualified tailor, pattern maker and cutter. I design and make bridal wear and 50's style petticoats.

Who, or what, inspires you?
I am very much inspired by the 50's and 60's styles.

Do you sell your work? If so, what helped you decide to start selling your work?I decided to start making and selling my work when I started a family and could no longer go out to work, this helped me work around my children's needs as well a giving me an income.

Where can I buy your work?You can buy my work from www.folksy.com/shops/Annabelladesigns or here www.bridalslips.co.uk

Do you have a website or blog address?
www.bridalslips.co.uk

How did you learn your craft?
Apprentice and college.

How long have you been creating?
48 years.

Is there any other craft skill you would like to learn?
Felting and weaving.

Anything exciting planned for 2010 you’d like to share?
I have a contract coming in 2010 to supply a bridal company with my petticoats.

Have you had any work featured in magazines/books/galleries?
Yes I had one of my bridal bags featured in the Valentines/Mother's Day issue of Creative Crafting Magazine, Issue 3 ... www.creative-crafting.com

Has your work won any prizes/competitions? Yes but too long ago to mention!

If I wasn’t doing this, I’d be …
Working on my garden.

I couldn’t do this if it wasn’t for ...
The support of my family.

Describe your perfect day ...
Getting up with the birds and spending the rest of the day there.

Describe your proudest moment ...
Holding my first baby.

What do you do to relax?
Lots of gardening.

Marmite … love it or hate it?
Love it.

What’s your weakness?
Fabric.

How do you keep motivated?
Don't know the answer to this one as I just can't stop sewing so I would say I'm a workaholic.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
Believe in yourself and go for it, don't let other people put you off your dreams but be aware that investing money in your crafting can be costly and a lot of thought and research has to go into it. Online selling is the hardest as people like to feel and see your item so get yourself out there into craft fairs,shops and galleries.


thanks for taking the time to chat annabella, i think that's great advice you've given. i'm with you on the gardening too, if i'm not felting - i love to be gardening ... the sun shining, the birds singing, my idea of bliss.

No comments: