Monday, June 14

meet a maker monday

today we meet nikki from nikkis knits who makes lovely knitted items ...

Please introduce yourself …
I am Nikki and I am a teacher. I love to knit. I make up my own patterns mostly or adapt others as I always want my work to be as I see it not as somebody else does.

Who, or what, inspires you?
I'm inspired by everything and often just seeing a colour or a ball of wool gets the ideas going.

Do you sell your work? If so, what helped you decide to start selling your work?
I had been selling to friends and family for a while and just found Folksy so joined. You can buy my work on Folksy: http://www.folksy.com/shops/NikkiJ
or on my website: http://www.nikkisknits.jimdo.com/

How did you learn your craft? How long have you been creating?
My nan taught me at the age of 8 and I have been designing ever since. I used to make clothes and blankets for my toys!!

Is there any other craft skill you would like to learn?
I would like to improve my limited crochet skills.

Anything exciting planned for 2010 you’d like to share?
I am thinking of opening a shop on another website and maybe having a bears only shop!

Has your work won any prizes/competitions?
I have won some school fair competitions.

What motivates you?
If I didn't knit I would crack up!

Describe your proudest moment.
My proudest moment was completing my degree after falling pregnant half way through it!

Marmite … love it or hate it?
I love marmite and my husband hates it.

What do you do to relax?
I relax best with a glass of wine and some knitting.

What animal would you be, and why?
I would love to be an eagle and soar above the world.

What’s your weakness?
My weakness is wool!

What do you wish you’d known when you first started out?
I wish I'd known how hard it was to promote!

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
I would tell somebody starting not to take it personally when they do not have sales.

What question did you hope to be asked but didn’t and what would answer have been?
I wish somebody would ask me to supply their little shop and I would say yes!

thanks for taking the time to chat nikki, best of luck with finding shops to supply.

No comments: