Monday, July 12

meet a maker

this week we meet debs from pipistrelle crochet designs ...

Please introduce yourself …
I'm Debs and I run Pipistrelle Crochet Design.

How would you describe your work / style?
I work all in crochet at the moment, and tend to just design whatever I feel like at the time. I've been doing a lot of hearts, garlands etc, but am looking into freeform crochet and intend to start experimenting in making other items such as more bags and accessories, wall hangings and cushion covers.

Who, or what, inspires you?
It mainly comes down to the yarn. I'm a real yarnaholic! I will see a yarn in the shop, or online, and it will set off a whole train for thought for me, whether it reminds me of the sea, or trees, or flocks of birds, or whatever, and my mind starts working overtime thinking about what would look good made with that yarn, or what effects I could achieve with it. I'm also very inspired by nature and birds.

Where can I buy your work?
www.muddybarefeet.folksy.com

Do you have a website or blog address?
www.pipistrellecrochetdesign.blogspot.com

How did you learn your craft? How long have you been creating?
I taught myself to crochet just over a year ago. I was a keen knitter before that, but since discovering crochet have practically abandoned knitting altogether - it just doesn't compare! I have been creating pieces seriously with the intent of selling them since late last year.

Is there any other craft skill you would like to learn?
I would really like to get to grips with felting, and as I said before I'm very keen to have a go at freeform crochet.

I couldn’t do this if it wasn’t for …
My wonderful family who put up with me enthusing about yarns and designs, and who leave me alone when I need to create.

What do you do to relax?
Spend time with my family out in the countryside.

Marmite … love it or hate it?
Love it!

What animal would you be, and why?
A hare. I've just always had an affinity with them. I quite often have dreams where I turn into a hare. I love the way they live, the family groups and the social organisation of them, and all the mythology, of course.

What’s your weakness?
Chocolate.

How do you keep motivated?
By looking at the wonderful things that other people make. When I'm feeling a bit demotivated, one of my tricks is to have a look through all my favourite shops on Folksy, and that usually inspires me to get back and get on with my own designs. I also have a few crochet books, and if I come across a stitch I haven't tried before, I'll have a go at something new like that, to get me back into it.

What question did you hope to be asked but weren't?
Who is your favourite Doctor Who actor?

What would your answer have been?
Tom Baker! Who else? :-)

thanks for taking the time to chat debs, i really like your work. if you're ever in scotland please look me up, perhaps i can teach you to felt if you teach me to crochet - i'd love to learn! oh gosh tom baker, takes me back a bit! when i was young, i remember being really chuffed when my aunt knitted me a 'tom baker dr who' scarf :)

1 comment:

Deb said...

Hi, thanks for publishing this, I'd completely forgotten about it! Just to say my Folksy shop has now moved to here www.debscudder.folksy.com - :-)

Deb xx